Carleton County Gaol (HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel)
Built between 1860 and 1862, this three-and-a-half storey building was the first jail house in Ottawa. It served as a jail for over 100 years until it was closed in 1972. In 1973, the building was reopened as a youth hostel, which it still is to this day.
Our mandate for the building was to prepare all exterior elevations as well as a roof plan showing the existing conditions of the building, as a reference for roof repairs and a potential rehabilitation.
Ontario Municipal Heritage Designation